Few women know what can and should be a normal vaginal discharge and when discharge from the vagina talking about the disease.
Vaginal discharge may vary in color (red-bloody, brown, gray, black, whitish, greenish, yellowish, pink), texture (jelly-like, cheesy, frothy) with smell and without smell. Vaginal discharge can be accompanied by other symptoms (itching, irritation, pain) or can be the only symptom of the disease. In this article, we will describe the most common types of vaginal discharges and describe methods of diagnosis and treatment of diseases that are accompanied by secretions. Also, in this article we will talk about the problem of vaginal discharge in pregnant women.
Healthy women have vaginal discharge consists of mucus produced by the glands of the cervix. A small but persistent vaginal discharge from the vagina help cleanse the genital tract of women and prevent the occurrence of infection.
Normal vaginal discharge not abundant, mucous, may be slightly turbid from the admixture of epithelial cells from the vagina, if during the day to use the same daily strip — allocation may become slightly yellowish. The nature and quantity of vaginal discharge depends on the day of the menstrual cycle: mid-cycle when you approach ovulation vaginal discharge becomes a similar consistency to egg white, discharge is more abundant than usual, more alkaline. Increases the amount of vaginal discharge during sexual excitement, especially during sexual intercourse. Normal discharge does not cause discomfort, do not cause discomfort: itching, burning and irritation of the genital organs. If PAP in normal discharge, then it will have increased the number of leukocytes, and flora will be dominated by sticks.
The smell of fresh discharge from the vagina is virtually absent, smelling discharge appears when propagated in bacteria.
- Transparent, stretchy, slippery discharge, similar to egg protein, most abundant in mid — cycle period before ovulation is normal.
- Creamy meager selection — the second half of the cycle is the norm.
- Creamy discharge — the last days of the cycle — the norm.
- Transparent, white or slightly yellowish discharge with clots in the first hours after unprotected intercourse, when the sperm gets in the vagina is normal.
- Abundant liquid discharge white the morning after unprotected sex is the norm.
- Scant creamy white discharge after sex with condom or without ejaculation in the vagina — vaginal lubrication is normal.
- Scarlet red spotting, worse — the onset of menstruation, the first day is the norm.
- Highlight with blood red bloody streaks in the middle of the cycle (between periods) — it happens soon after ovulation at mid-cycle — normal variant.
- Liquid bright whitish discharge, similar to milk during pregnancy, usually increases with increasing term — the norm, if not irritate the external genitals and have no unpleasant smell.
Selection before menstruation
The flora and the secret of the vagina is dependent on hormonal changes during different phases of the cycle, so the color and consistency of discharge can change before menstruation, discharge may become more turbid, yellowish, or white and are more abundant (feeling of constant humidity), more viscous. But while maintaining such discharge or after menstruation, especially if these symptoms joins itching of the vagina or abdominal pain, you should consult a doctor gynecologist.
Brown discharge before menstruation — it is a secretion mixed with blood. Bleeding normal can appear in a day or two before the start of heavy menstrual bleeding. If spotting is preceded by a month for more than 2 days, or brown, pink, red-brown discharge appear in the middle of the menstrual cycle is likely to indicate disease.
Brown discharge before menstruation can signal: hormonal disorders, presence of any infections (particularly in endometritis — inflammation of endometrium), hematological diseases nature. Very often such phenomena accompany endometrial hyperplasia, endometrial polyps. In particular, brown discharge before menstruation in combination with other symptoms (pain with menstruation lasting longer than 7 days profuse bleeding with clots) are signs of endometriosis.
Brown discharge in mid cycle can be a sign of progesterone deficiency and polycystic ovary syndrome, the condition will cause infertility and require treatment. Too heavy bleeding during menstruation — you Need an ultrasound to assess the status of internal genital organs. Such bleeding can be symptoms of uterine fibroids, endometriosis, under the normal thickness of the endometrium (lining of the uterus) and curettage (the procedure) may not be required. If the cause of bleeding hypertrophy (increase in thickness) of endometrium, polyps of the endometrium or cervix, the scraping should be done carefully. This will stop the bleeding and allow histological examination to exclude more serious pathology.
Selection for diseases
Permanent, not changing during the cycle of selection, except during menstruation, happens when a woman takes hormonal contraceptives, or suffers from infertility and has no inflammation in the vagina.
- Al spotting a few days before menstruation — cervical erosion, endocervicitis.
- Al bleeding during pregnancy, detachment of the ovum or placenta, a threatened miscarriage.
- Al spotting after intercourse — small fissures in the vagina, formed during sexual intercourse, cervical erosion, cervicitis.
- After abortion can be spotting, various sizes and color. After 1 week. Be sure to consult your gynecologist and do a control ultrasound.
- Mucus white or transparent mucus streaked with white at the end of the cycle, before menstruation — cervical erosion, cervicitis (inflammation of the cervical canal). The mucus in some way connected with the cervix.
- White or curd like yogurt selection, film white color or plaque between large and small labia, the clitoris, usually in combination with bread or sour milk smell — thrush (candidiasis).
- White or slightly greenish, grayish, peeling films of the selection, usually in combination with fish smell vaginal dysbiosis (gardnerellosis).
- Yellowish or greenish, profuse discharge, acute bacterial infection of the vagina, acute adnexitis (inflammation of the ovaries), acute salpingitis (inflammation in the fallopian tubes).
- Scanty yellow or greenish discharge — bacterial infection of the vagina, cervical erosion, chronic adnexitis (inflammation of the ovaries), chronic salpingitis (inflammation fallopian tubes).
- Purulent discharge green, thick, in combination with mucus, amplifying the voltage, after defecation — purulent cervicitis.
- The allocation of large clots during menstruation — a tilted cervix, blood clotting — tendency to thrombosis, deficiencies of vitamins of group b, the pathological process in the uterus (polyp, endometriosis, fibroids). Also, this discharge comes, if the woman is the intrauterine device.
Allocation during pregnancy
During pregnancy vaginal discharge especially afraid of women. Indeed, during pregnancy should be especially careful about the presence of secretions and to follow their nature.
Selection in the early stages of pregnancy. Vaginal discharge in early pregnancy, as mentioned at the beginning of the article can be more abundant than usual, this is normal if the discharge remains transparent, have no smell and are not accompanied by other symptoms, such as itching or pain in the genital area. The appearance of vaginal bleeding in early pregnancy may indicate the spontaneous abortion and ectopic pregnancy. Purulent or whitish discharge from the vagina in early pregnancy may indicate the presence of infection.
White discharge during pregnancy is usually signs of thrush.
Spotting brown discharge during pregnancy is a very unfavorable symptom. This is a sign of threatened miscarriage. Other diseases here and. May increase secretions in the days of the expected menstrual period, the color of the discharge may be yellowish. Limit sexual activity in this period, to avoid the threat of abortion.
Allocation in the later stages of pregnancy. In the middle of pregnancy in the later stages normal vaginal discharge can become more viscous and thick. Sudden spotting can indicate the beginning of a miscarriage or premature birth, therefore, immediately upon detection of should seek help from a doctor. brown discharge during pregnancy can indicate bleeding from small vessels in the cervix and also require a medical examination.
Discharge after childbirth
Within a few weeks after birth until there is a restoration of the uterine mucosa (endometrium), the young mother has saved genital discharge - vaginal. When will it end? Towards the end of pregnancy your uterus weighs about 1 kg. Immediately after the child is born and the placenta it is dramatically reduced, and you lose about 250-300 ml of blood. This blood loss is considered to be physiological, that is normal and poses no danger to life.
They are regardless of whether you gave birth naturally or by caesarean section. Usually up to 10 days lochia spotting, later they become light and lasts for 5-6 weeks. While selection continues, the physicians recommend that women wash after each visit to the toilet. For this it is convenient to use a small plastic bottle of water. While continuing the selection, you wash in the shower, not a bath. Bathe with 5-6 weeks after the examination by a gynecologist. However, if the uterus is too sluggish or too rapidly reducing the outflow from it may be broken. Sometimes there is a blockage of the uterus with blood clots and the inflammation begins.
Immediately contact your doctor:
- If you have every hour to completely soak the blood from the sanitary pad and it lasts more than four hours;
- If bad smelling discharge;
- If you have a fever;
- If you feel feverish;
- If you feel constant pain in the lower abdomen.
All these symptoms can be associated with obstruction of the cervical blood clots and the worsening of the outflow from it. For the treatment doctors prescribe tools that reduce the uterus and reduce inflammation. If uterine infection develops, antibiotics are prescribed. In this case you do not have to quit breastfeeding. Many antibiotics do not penetrate into breast milk and harm the baby. Consult a gynecologist and a pediatrician. The pediatrician may give the child the biological products that will protect the intestines from the action of antibiotics.
Vaginal discharge before and after sex
During sexual arousal the glands of the vestibule of the vagina in women start actively developing the so-called vaginal lubrication. Therefore, the presence of transparent liquid secretions immediately before sex or during sex is normal.
The appearance of thick heavy discharge (maybe with unpleasant odor) immediately after sex (or second day) may be related to cleansing of the vagina from the sperm (this is possible if the sexual act was complete, male orgasm and not a condom was used). Typically, such selection fast stop. The bleeding from the vagina during intercourse or immediately after it may indicate the presence of cervical erosion.
The appearance of white, yellow, gray or greenish purulent discharge from the vagina a few days or weeks after sex may indicate the development of infection. If the mucus acquires a specific color, smell, required the assistance of a qualified specialist, because this trait speaks of the pathology of the pelvic organs. Odor can be a sign of a purulent process, but it has a yellowish-green discharge. This symptom is characteristic of gonorrhea, trichomoniasis.
These diseases are transmitted through unprotected sex or blood transfusions. 1-3 weeks after infection there are other symptoms: itching, burning sensation in the vagina, in the urethra, pain during intercourse. Contact bleeding (after sexual intercourse) can be due to cervical pathology (detected by gynecological examination) or pathology of the uterus — polyps, hyperplasia, fibroids, etc. To clarify the reasons you need to do an ultrasound in different periods of the cycle may need tests of functional diagnostics.